Shepherd’s Pie is a delicious comfort food filled with ground beef (if you’re American) or lamb (if you’re from England). No matter what you call it, it’s a delicious casserole filled with meat and vegetables, and it’s topped off with melt-in-your-mouth cheesy mashed potatoes. Here is the step-by-step recipe you need to make it.
Please note: If you’re short on time, you can prepare both the meat filling and potato topping up to 3 days before consuming. Be sure to refrigerate it before assembling it in the casserole.
Meat Filling➔ 2 tablespoons olive oil
➔ 1 cup chopped yellow onion
➔ 1 lb. 90% lean ground beef -or ground lamb
➔ 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
➔ 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
➔ 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
➔ 1/2 teaspoon salt
➔ 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
➔ 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
➔ 2 garlic cloves (minced)
➔ 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
➔ 2 tablespoons tomato paste
➔ 1 cup beef broth
➔ 1 cup frozen mixed peas or carrots
➔ 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
Potato Topping:➔ 1 ½ - 2 lb. russet potatoes -about 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
➔ 8 tablespoons unsalted butter -1 stick
➔ 1/3 cup half & half
➔ 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
➔ 1/2 teaspoon salt
➔ 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
➔ 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
Instructions For The Meat Filling1) To begin, chop some onions and sauté them in olive oil on medium heat for 5 minutes.
2) Next, add in the ground beef or lamb. Cook the meat for 6-8 minutes or until it is brown.
3) Add spices such as dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
4) Add some minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce and cook for 1 minute
5) Once the garlic is cooked, add flour and tomato paste. Stir until the tomato paste is smooth and without clumps.
6) Add beef broth and frozen vegetables
7) Once the liquid is brought to a boil, let it simmer for 5 minutes,
8) Preheat your oven at this stage to get your oven warmed up for the casserole which will be ready to be baked after the assembly
Instructions For the Potatoes1) Peel, chop and then boil potatoes in a large pot until they are soft (for about 10-15 minutes)
2) Once you’ve drained the potatoes in a colander place them back into the pot and add butter, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the ingredients are mixed
3) Mash the potatoes until they are smooth and do not have any lumps
Assembly1) Take a casserole and pour the meat mixture all over the bottom of the casserole.
2) With a spoon, spread an even layer across the entire top of the meat mixture with the cheesy mashed potatoes
3) Finally, place the casserole in the oven and bake it until the meat is bubbling and until the potatoes are golden (or for about 25-30 minutes)
If you think that you won’t eat your pie in one sitting, be sure to freeze it right after you’ve baked it. Once the Shepherd’s Pie is cooled down, cover the casserole with one layer of plastic wrap and one layer of aluminum foil. You can keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months.